Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Random Comment on Roderick Hudson

I guess to elaborate on a point I tried to make in class yesterday, I think Roderick is quite unrealistic and idealistic in his speech and actions, and I believe he is childishly frustrated with himself and his surroundings, simply because things are not always what he wants them to be. He blames his volatile emotions and relative unhappiness on whatever he pleases, at the spur of the moment, and thus exhibits a sense of urgency and restlessness with the present state of things. In other words, when things get difficult, he avoids them in some way or another, many times by leaving the place he currently inhabits altogether, as an excuse for an easier way out. Thus, Roderick is constantly looking for something more, and is not content with settling down, because that would require facing common, and difficult, responsibilities. His effort to seek transcendence, however, reveals a brilliance in him that is helplessly admired by Rowland. What Rowland does not admire, however, is Roderick’s childishness, selfishness and irresponsibility. But who is he to judge Roderick, when, first of all, he chose to be responsible for Roderick, and secondly, he is guilty of his own lack of self-respect and brilliance. Thus, although I want to reach the conclusion that Roderick is almost all words and no action, and Rowland exhibits considerable action and almost no words, I can’t because there are no clear cut lines that define these characters, as well as others in the novel, as there is some evidence to the contrary.

The following passage interests me considerably with respect to Roderick’s perspective on the pursuit of perfection:

“’I think that when you expect a man to produce beautiful and wonderful works of art you ought to allow him a certain freedom of action, you ought to give him a long rope, you ought to let him follow his fancy and look for his material wherever he thinks he may find it! A mother can’t nurse her child unless she follows a certain diet; an artist can’t bring his visions to maturity unless he has a certain experience. You demand of us to be imaginative, and you deny us the things that feed the imagination…[etc, etc]’” (191-192).


Abdu Bouzid

No comments: